Assignment: Design a business card for yourself (or for a business you own).
The typographic logo ".jR" aims to provide a simple, memorable arrangement of my initials. Read "dot-J-R," it invokes technological language such as file extensions and web addresses. To further the connection to technology, I used a console-style font, DejaVu Sans Mono. The font was originally monospaced, but I kerned the letters closer together in order to produce a compact, logo-like look. The square period character, and especially the look of the "j," preserve the console-font look.
But at first glance, "jr" or "JR" reads as "junior," which I didn't want to imply. I found that capitalizing the "R" while leaving the "j" intact doesn't really read as "junior," at least to my eye. It also gives the logo a more unique look. The DejaVu Sans Mono typeface works well with this, as the lowercase "j" is even taller than the "R," particularly with its descender. So the "R" is clearly uppercase, but does not dominate the space of the logo.
I wanted my card to be clean and concise. The central element of the composition is my name, paired closely with my logo and tagline. The only other elements I wanted were contact information, which made sense to be grouped at either the bottom or the top. With those at the bottom, aligning my name to the vertical center left the composition bottom-heavy, with lots of whitespace at the top. I tried rule of thirds, but that didn't quite look right either - the name looked too far up.
After some experimentation, I found that a five-row grid provided a nice balance. Contact info fills the bottom row, and the name-logo-tagline grouping sits nicely near the center of the remaining vertical space. I used three vertical columns for the contact info elements, with equivalent margins on either side. The name-logo-tagline-grouping doesn't follow the columns; it's horizontally aligned in the center.
All the text uses the DejaVu Sans typeface, so it matches the logo apart from not being console-style.
I went with a simple black-and-white color scheme. However, to make the colors a little warmer and the contrast a little less harsh, I replaced true white with an off-white, a very subtle shade of orange. The black I replaced with a very, very dark green.
All licensed under Creative Commons.